Hiking Camelback Mountain is one of the most popular activities to do when visiting Scottsdale. The climb up either of the two trails, Echo Canyon and Cholla, provides great views, interesting rock formations and a 1,200-foot elevation change. The summit of Camelback offers 360-degree views that overlook Scottsdale and all its surrounding cities. The view is no-doubt worth the climb, but there are a few things you should know before embarking on the journey.
- Bring water! As with any hike, be sure to bring plenty of water for everyone in your party (including your four-legged friends). Even though the trail isn’t long, the elevation change more than makes up for that.
- Prepare to get your hands dirty. Echo Canyon has steep hills that require some climbing over large boulders. It’s nothing too extreme, but be aware that this isn’t a walk in the park.
- The trails are busy on the weekends. Like, really busy. The park will close once it reaches capacity, so have a backup plan just in case.
- Hikers climbing uphill have the right of way. There are a lot of runners who like to run up the mountain, so when you’re on your way down, it’s easier for everyone if you stop and move out of the way.
- Have good shoes with grip. Hiking boots are the best, but running shoes also do the trick just fine. Make sure they have decent tread left though, as the dust and smooth rocks make for a slippery situation.
- Don’t forget your camera. The view from the top is unforgettable!
- Have good restaurant picked out for after because you’ll be hungry. Trust us.
from Official Travel Site for Scottsdale, Arizona | http://ift.tt/12JTbrm